Galena Baptist Church 1951
Galena Baptist Church circa 1907
Present Day Galena Baptist Church
The original building of what is now the Galena Baptist Church was erected in 1857. In the following years it was a family residence, a Christian Church Assembly (circa 1870), and a Methodist Church Assembly (circa 1880), and finally the Galena Christian Church from 1930 to 1946.
In 1947 the Galena Baptist Church began its history on this property with the Reverend Earl Umbaugh as its first Pastor. He came as a student attending Grace Theological Seminary to lead worship services on weekends and then became the full-time Pastor and served from 1947 until 1951.
In 1960 another section, now classrooms and a nursery, was built by brothers, John and Glen Schwenk, and other members of the church.
In 1985, because of church growth under the leadership of Rev. Dennis Pycraft, the fellowship hall and snack areas, complete with classrooms in the basement, were constructed by members of the church under the leadership of Jim Kersey and dedicated soon after.
The Galena Baptist Church is associated with the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches (GARBC) and adheres to the doctrine of that association.